PS About shop portfolio

4.16.2015

HOME SWEET APARTMENT FT. TINY PRINTS

I know the struggles of living in an apartment: smaller space, unable to do renovations, and not enough freedom to make changes or updates... It can be difficult to really make your apartment feel like a home, but after several years of living in an apartment space, I have a few tips that might help make your apartment feel more like home. 

1. Get Cozy | Blankets are the perfect way to feel cozy in a home! I don't know about you, but a good, warm blanket can instantly make me feel more relaxed. If your husband is anything like mine, then your space is probably kept at a pretty cool temperature, so a blanket might be just what you need. Not only are they practical, but they make great decoration. We have a white (faux) fur blanket that we got from Pottery Barn as a wedding gift. I love love this blanket! I think it looks great on our simple grey couch, and Gretchen loves to cuddle on it during the day.

2. Create a Signature Scent | Growing up, my home always smelt like cinnamon; this was my mom's signature scent. So now, no matter where I am, if I smell cinnamon, I am instantly "home" and comfortable. Find a scent that makes you feel comfortable, that makes you feel happy or joyful, and fill your home with it! Elisha and I love our Volcano candles from Anthropologie, which we used in our wedding. I also really love vanilla scents and have a few varieties in our bedroom.

3. Personalize Your Decor | Nothing will help make your space feel more like yours, than a little personalization. I got this Happy Home Pillow and this Vibrant Diamond Wave Pillow from Tiny Prints, and I love the little touch of personalization that they add to our home. It also really focuses our home on family and that makes it so much more special!

4. Share Memories | It's obvious that I'm a huge fan of photos, but with instagram and Facebook storing all of our photos, we can easily forget to actually print some out! I love being able to display important photos of special moments and loved ones. One of my favorite pieces is this canvas print of me and Elisha from our engagement photos (this was also the cover of our wedding invitation!).  

5. Utilize Your Space - As I mentioned before, apartments don't always have the most space, so it's important that you make the most of what you have. I wouldn't say that our style is fully minimalistic, but we do like to keep our "stuff" to a minimum. I like investing in pieces that I know we will treasure and keep for years. It's easy to get swept up in trends, but be true to yourself and find pieces that define your style and help to shape your home's personality.

















Other ideas not previously mentioned: plants, pets, unique finds, thrifted pieces, warm lighting, handmade items, and storage. These are a few other things I have focused on. Just remember to have fun with it! Your home may not be featured in a magazine, it may not look like everyone else's, but if you feel happy, rested and "at home" when you're there, that's all that matters! 

I love seeing how other people style their homes. If you all do a home tour, I would love to take a peek! Leave a link below so we can all visit! 

xo. mel

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, so simple and clean yet soooo beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete